Marriage, Family, and Respect Life Ministries
The Office of Marriage, Family & Respect Life exists to strengthen a profound understanding and appreciation for the dignity of every human life created in the image and likeness of God, and to promote the sanctity of the Sacrament of Marriage, through:
- Facilitating marriage preparation programs using the One in Christ curriculum, which presents both the sacramental theology and the practical "tools" of Christian Marriage;
- Coordinating an enrichment and certification program for married couples who assist in the marriage preparation programs by offering a meaningful opportunity for reflection on, and catechetical review of, the tenets of the Catholic Faith;
- Hosting the annual celebration of World Marriage Day in cooperation with the Vermont Chapter of Worldwide Marriage Encounter, encouraging celebrations throughout the Diocese and providing certificates honoring couples with milestone anniversaries;
- Providing information, resources and education on respect life topics, chastity education, end-of-life care, Catholic Advance Directives and other related topics.
- Communicating “action alerts” and updates to parishes and individuals regarding important national and statewide public policy initiatives and proposed legislation through the Diocesan One Call Now voice message and email alert system.
- Cooperating with the counselors of Vermont Catholic Charities to offer the Project Rachel healing ministry to support and counsel women and men suffering from involvement in abortion.
"The family is thus the place of origin and the most effective means for humanizing and personalizing society: it makes an original contribution in depth to building up the world, by making possible a life that is properly speaking human, in particular by guarding and transmitting virtues and values." (The Role of the Family in the Modern World, 43)