“This outward expression of love in the home demands not only mutual help but must go further; must have as its primary purpose that man and wife help each other day by day in forming and perfecting themselves in the interior life, so that through their partnership in life they may advance ever more and more in virtue, and above all that they may grow in true love toward God and their neighbor”
Casti Connubii, On Christian Marriage – Pope Pius XI – 1930
The married couple forms “the intimate partnership of life and love established by the Creator and governed by his laws, it is rooted in the conjugal covenant, that is, in their irrevocable personal consent” CCC 2364
What is Natural Family Planning?
Natural Family Planning is an umbrella term for certain methods used to achieve and avoid pregnancies. These methods are based on observation of the naturally occurring signs and symptoms of the fertile and infertile phases of a woman’s menstrual cycle. Couples using NFP to avoid pregnancy abstain from intercourse and genital contact during the fertile phase of the woman’s cycle. No drugs, devices or surgical procedures are used to avoid pregnancy.
NFP reflects the dignity of the human person within the context of marriage and family life, promotes openness to life and recognizes the value of the child. By respecting the love-giving and life-giving natures of marriage, NFP can enrich the bond between husband and wife (Standards for Diocesan Natural Family Planning Ministry, p. 23).
Fast Facts about NFP
- NFP is an effective method for avoiding or achieving pregnancy.
- There are no harmful drugs or devices involved.
- NFP is not the “rhythm” method.
- NFP simply and naturally puts a woman in touch with her own fertility by teaching her to recognize and understand the physical changes in her body.
- NFP fosters commitment in couples to work together in meeting their family goals.
- NFP is approved by the Roman Catholic Church.
- NFP is easy to learn and apply.
- NFP’s effectiveness is proven by scientific and medical research.
- Practicing NFP includes instruction in observing three primary fertility signs.
- NFP can be used by all women, whatever the stage of their reproductive life.
- NFP involves no additional expenses after initial instruction.